Board President Charles W. Roraback stated: “The Board of Trustees is excited to have a professional with Jessica’s talent and education assume a leadership role at the Torrington Library. We have confidence in her ability to build a bridge from the past to a bigger and better library building and community. With a team of eager and able employees, the library will be able to offer expanded programs and resources to all the residents of Torrington.”
“I am thrilled with opportunity to continue working for the Library in this new capacity. It is an exciting time to become Library Director, especially with the building project taking place. ” Gueniat said. “Our goal is to engage, enrich and empower all members of our community. With this comes the responsibility to ensure that we provide equal access to our collections, programs and facilities and that we provide relevant and up to date resources. I look forward to working with the Library Trustees, Corporators and staff to ensure that this vision remains a reality.”
The Library is currently undergoing a $5.6 million dollar addition and restoration project. The scope of the project includes a restoration of the existing structure as well as a three level, 13,377 square foot L-shaped addition on the west and north sides of the building, increasing the total building size to 30,853 square feet. The building project will provide:
- ADA compliant access and restrooms;
- An expanded Children’s Room on the second floor including a story time room;
- A Community Room with a 100+ seating capacity and small kitchen amenity, available to the public upon request.
- Additional public access computers;
- A new Teen Room;
- Two quiet study cubicles;
- A meeting room for up to 15 people, available to the public upon request;
- The restoration of the original architectural features of the building including the dish dome in the center rotunda of the original building, as well as coffered ceilings.